About Sam Wayne
Hi, I’m Sam. I’ve been protecting people from fraud and other anti-consumer activities my entire career. I’m a passionate advocate for an economy that works for people who work, and I’m honored to fight for people against abusive business practices.
I fight for clients against businesses that have decided to rip off their customers through a reasoned and careful analysis that only considers making its shareholders richer. They foreclose on homes at random and refuse to listen or negotiate, often providing no means of contact at all. They respond to credit report disputes by saying they’ll fix the problem, and then don’t fix the problem; often more than once or twice. They harass people to collect debts that they know are not legitimate.
Like most people, I’m sick of this. These terrible practices can affect anyone with a mortgage or any other kind of debt; heck, they even target people without any debt at all. With a financial system out of control, I’m grateful that I get to help victims of corporate greed.
I also recognize the important role that small businesses play in employing and developing people. I’ve counseled many of these – bars, restaurants, salons, recreational sports leagues, software developers, real estate brokers, marketing consultants, etc. – to ensure that their business structures and relationships are exactly as they wish them to be and to negotiate on their behalf with other businesses. I also protect their interests in court, whether they’re dealing with a contract breach, a dispute over intellectual property, losses from a fraud, professional negligence, or other commercial litigation. I understand the powerful drag that litigation has on people, and frequently tell clients that I hope they’ll never have to hire me again.
In addition, I represent people and businesses in all manner of injury claims, with a focus on helping people who have suffered from mold infestations and its debilitating illnesses.
Along with my passion I sport a friendly and caring demeanor, a strong ability to work effectively with others, and a commitment to communicate with my clients promptly and frequently. It’s important to get the best result for you that I can, and that relies on you feeling valued and letting you define what’s “best,” with my advice.
In addition to working in my own law firm, I have represented people and businesses with a small, sophisticated law firm in Madison, helped start, represent, and manage an educational games company, and interned for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, the Wisconsin Department of Justice’s Consumer Protection Unit, and a large law firm in New York City.
Originally from New York State, I’ve lived in Madison since 2003. In my free time I love to spend time with my wife Rachel and our daughter, travel, read, hike, play soccer and tennis, practice yoga, see live music, and enjoy the company of fun, interesting, and sincere people. Right now, I’m focused on keeping our family safe and enjoying Wisconsin’s beautiful natural resources year-round.
I’m proud to be a Badger twice-over, and was fortunate to receive an Ivy League undergraduate education. I’m also proud of and humbled by the distinctions I’ve had the honor of accepting.
- All Courts of the State of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- All Courts of the State of Illinois
- JD // University of Wisconsin Law School
- MPA // University of Wisconsin
- BS // Cornell University
- 2020 // Wisconsin SuperLawyers Rising Stars
- 2019 // Wisconsin SuperLawyers Rising Stars
- 2019 // Reelected to State Bar of Wisconsin Board of Governors
- 2018 // Wisconsin Law Foundation Fellow
- 2018 // Wisconsin SuperLawyers Rising Stars
- 2017 // Elected to State Bar of Wisconsin Board of Governors
- 2012 // InBusiness Magazine 40 Under 40
- 2011 // State Bar of Wisconsin Young Lawyers Division Professional Achievement Award
- 2010 // Wisconsin Law School Dean’s Fellow
- 2009 // Sonnet Schmidt Edmonds Excellence in Energy Law Award
- 2008 // First Place: ABA Regional Negotiation Competition
- 2008 // State Bar of Wisconsin Award for highest mark in Negotiations
- 2007 // Janet D. Steiger Fellowship
- 2005 // La Follette School Graduation Speaker
- 2003 // Robert M. La Follette Fellowship
Located in Madison, Wisconsin, the Firm served clients throughout Wisconsin, including Dane, Iowa, Sauk, Columbia, Dodge, Jefferson, Green, Rock, Lafayette, Waukesha, Milwaukee, Green Lake, Sheboygan, La Crosse, Eau Claire, Racine, Kenosha, Grant, Marathon, Walworth, Fond du Lac, Ozaukee, St. Croix, Winnebago, Outagamie, Brown, and Washington counties, and throughout Illinois, including Kane, DuPage, Cook, Lake, Winnebago, Kendall, DeKalb, La Salle, Carroll, Whiteside, Henry, Bureau, Putnam, Stark, Grundy, Will, Kankakee, Iroquois, Ford, Livingston, Woodford, Marshall, Peoria, Lee, Ogle, Boone, McHenry, Stephenson, Rock Island, and Jo Daviess counties.